The AKSARBEN Foundation and Horatio Alger Association are partnering with the Avenue Scholars Foundation and Metropolitan Community College to offer the AKSARBEN / Horatio Alger Career Scholarship. One-hundred fifty scholarships will be awarded to area students from low-income families seeking quality careers in high skill/high demand occupations such as health care, IT, manufacturing, welding, electrical, auto mechanics and other skilled trades. Nominees must be high school seniors who are eligible for free and reduced lunch and/or Federal Pell Grant and have a demonstrated interest in one of the targeted career paths.
AM I ELIGIBLE?
If each of the following is true for you, the answer is yes!
I want a quality career in a high skill/high demand occupation, such as health care, information technology, manufacturing, welding, electrical, auto mechanics, culinary arts, and other skilled trades.
I will attend Metropolitan Community College in the fall of 2017.
I am reliable, responsible, and hard-working, and others will confirm this.
I am a senior attending a Douglas or Sarpy County high school.
My Expected Family Contribution (EFC) for college is $8,000 or less (as determined by FAFSA).
I am either a US citizen, a permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen.
HOW DO I APPLY?
- See your counselor or Talent Advisor.
- Complete the AKSARBEN / Horatio Alger Career Scholarship application, including references, by March 1, 2017.
- Complete FAFSA and submit SAR by March 1, 2017 (fafsa.ed.gov).
- Complete the ACCUPLACER test by March 1, 2017.
- Complete the MCC application by March 1, 2017.
WHAT DOES THE SCHOLARSHIP INCLUDE?
- Up to $4,000 annually, for two years at Metropolitan Community College.
- All tuition, books, and fees.
- Other educational costs such as tools, uniforms, etc.
- Avenue Scholars college and career support.
WHAT WILL I DO AS AN AVENUE SCHOLAR?
The Avenue Scholars program is designed to ensure meaningful careers for students of hope and need.
As an Avenue Scholar, you will:
- Work with MCC Navigators and ASF Talent Advisors.
- Attend cohort classes, study sessions, career activities, and social events.
- Make a plan for working and living on your own.
- Get support in finding and keeping a job you love.
WHEN WILL I KNOW IF I GET THE SCHOLARSHIP?
You will be notified by April 1, 2017 if selected.